The Church of Uganda has allayed fears that students of Nakanyonyi Senior Secondary School in Mukono were not poisoned but rather had a borne illness condition.
On Thursday, Ugandans expecially parents, were plunged into panic mode after 150 students from the school were rushed to hospital for suspected poisoning after they became ill.
“Health workers have managed the situation and have so far ruled out poisoning but rather attributed the problem to a food-borne illness,” reads in part a statement issued Rev. Dr. Paul Kakooza, the Director of Education Services in the Church of Uganda.
Nakanyonyi SSS is founded by the Church of Uganda.
The statement adds, “At the moment, 11 students are in the nearby health centre, 6 at Mukono Church of Uganda Hospital while others are at Nagalama Catholic Hospital.”
Foodborne illness can occur if you eat foods that are contaminated with harmful pathogens such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
Day scholars have been asked to remain home until there is sanity, according to the church.
“Church of Uganda applauds the medical teams and well wishers that worked and are still working tirelessly to save our beloved Children’s lives,” the statement adds.
The church has urged all people of good will to pray for affected students and appealed to all head teachers to be extra vigilant especially on Children and Staff welfare.